Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Research Intern: The Good, The Bad & The Awesome!

So about two weeks ago, I started my internship with the biology department! I don't even know where to begin. I'm having the best time yet! The first day, Kristina and I watched a series of mandatory safety videos which where quite magnificent, if I might add. No, but seriously, some portions of the series were quite interesting and others were repetitive but that's okay!
Took a mini break from the videos to take this pic :)

One of the first tasks I had as an intern was to make media!! We made TSA and TSB media. TSA is made with enzymatic digestion of soybean meal and casein. After preparing the TSA, I transported them into agar plates which were then used in my doorknob experiment (which I will be blogging about soon!). TSB  (Trypticase Soy Broth) is another type of media used in microbiology experiments as well!

This is a picture of how much I weighted out to make the media. It's supposed to be double that to make two and a half trays but I did it twice because I didn't see that we had a larger flask to use. Next time I have to make it, I shall use the huge flask! :)
Precision is key :)
Incubation is complete!                        
At the Phoenix College garage, I snapped this picture of the gorgeous sunset!

1 comment:

  1. Nice sunset! Can't wait to hear more about the doorknob experiment.

    ReplyDelete