Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

March Madness: Khadidja Edition



I wasn't expecting the week after spring to be super busy but it really was. In the lab, Josh and I decided to start taking samples from the door handle experiment only on Tuesdays and Thursday as this time around, we are tracking if there is a point where the number of colonies would stabilize and not have drastic increases/decreases. On the other days that I am in the lab, I am gram staining and preparing to learn the techniques I need to use to be able to identify the bacteria. I had a few samples prepared to look at under the microscope today but had a few issues being able to distinguish whether they were gram positive or gram negative so I shall redo those samples on Monday :)

Gram Staining Process. 
Fire.


Apart from my internship I'm also a STEM Mentor with the STEM Program at Phoenix College and we are having an event on Monday titled "Tell me about STEM." Myself and fellow mentors will be teaching students about biology through a strawberry DNA extraction experiment. I was really exited when I did this short experiment at an ASU Science event a few ago and am exited about being able to share it with other students as well. Apart from the strawberry experiment  myself, Kodjo and Melina are also planning on presenting our posters from the previous conference as well. I have a lot of students asking me about my experiment as they see me taking samples so I'm exited to share my findings with them all!

On Wednesday at Phoenix College, STEM hosted an amazing women's expo! I was able to assist in planning this event and volunteering during my free time as well! There were free food samples and many vendors from campus and beyond talking to students about health balance and eating healthy. There was also a blood drive, free mammograms as well as free STD testing too! I had a really good time meeting students and talking to them about the importance of health and shared personal tips on staying balanced.

I also had two midterms this week, calculus and physics (which I just got done a few hours ago) and a few other things due before Saturday but I'm glad it's Thursday. I look forward to coming back next week, being in the lab and learning how to identify bacteria! I'm also looking forward to hearing back from summer internships :)

Photo of the Week:
Beautiful lake by my house I visited earlier this week. Beautiful
Hope you all are having a productive and happy week. Take care,
Khadidja

No comments:

Post a Comment