Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Poster, Poster, Poster

This week has been nothing but poster preparation and lots of data. I didn't realize how much data I had and the amount of variables that play into the statistics of the research itself. I had to go to tutpring math right after my internship which was somewhat overwhelming. I love math but my mind wasnt in a happy place after all that data! I am extremely thankful for Josh and Matt for helping with every step of the way throughout this process. I felt like I was asking way too many questions but I felt like I wanted to make sure that I was doing everything right so come presentation time on Monday at the research conference, I will be prepared to answer questions.

My data and working on Excel for hours got to the point were I was stressing a lot and just wanted to finish it. Initially, I had finished my graphs and the data was driving me crazy. Come to find out that error bars were too large so I ended up removing the outliers from my data. I further used the days one and three numbers to come up with a mean for the two and replaced the outlier with the mean. I later used this data to come up with new averages and recalculated the standard deviations to make new graphs with smaller and more reasonable error bars. When I finally posted the new tables on my poster, I felt a sense of accomplishment and was over-joyed to complete it! I cannot wait until Monday, which just happened to also be my birthday (wink, wink!) to present my beautiful poster and research. The thing I'm most looking forward is seeing other peoples' research! It'll be interesting to hear about their adventures in the lab and about their research as well!


Crazy data everywhere so it was fun to sort  through it all to see what it all meant:)

Preview to my poster (this is the one with the super big error bars! Look out next week for my poster with smaller error bars :D)



SNext Friday, myself and other STEM Scholars, along with professor Schampel are going to the Desert Botanical Garden! I've been wanting to go for a while and this is the perfect opportunity to do so! I was interested in the butterfly exhibit especially after skimming the butterfly reference books in the lab and now we can all go check it together as a group so I'm really, REALLY excited :)


Outside of my internship, I am really busy for the last few internship applications that I plan on applying for and this weekend will be going to ASU to tour the biodesign institute which I am really excited about! I hope you all had a wonderful week and an even better weekend!
Photo of the week:Saw this at the local library! Pretty cool!

Greetings,

Khadidja M.

No comments:

Post a Comment