Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Microscopes, applications and football.

This week has been super hectic for me. Apart from the internship, I finished my blog post about the REU's which I'm really exited about. If only one person can benefit from that post some-how, I'll feel accomplished! I'm busy with the transfer process as well but I rather be busy than bored so I'm not complaining!

This week in the lab was really exiting! I starting gram staining and I was able to prepare my plates and will be able to identify my bacteria now. Josh and Matt also plan on helping me use the microscope to photograph my samples and will be sharing those with you in the near future.

This is the sample that I used for gram staining. (it looks heart-shaped, just in time for Valentines day.)


Gram staining sample. I plan on researching more on the biochemical aspect of gram staining. (blog post, perhaps?)

Day zero samples came back clear again. 
I like this pic as it shows my swabbing technique. I'm getting better!
This shows the inside anterior handle (left) and the  outside posterior handle (right)  of the women's restroom and you can clearly see that the inside handle is less germy than the outside handle.  


Similarly, this shows the inside anterior handle (left) and the outside posterior handle (right) of the men's restroom handles, the inside showing more colonies than the outside. 
Day one samples.

Not sure on how to flip photos on Blogger... help?







Last but not least in my photo gallery, I drew a flowchart for derivatives and integrals while I was studying for my calculus exam and this is what it looks like:                                             I hope students who are visual learners, like myself, can benefit from this.
Today, I am also going to the lab to do some gram staining and identifying bacteria. Hopefully, I can learn how to use the camera on the microscope so I can share my findings with you all. I hope you all are having a fabulous week and an even better weekend. Anyone going to watch the Superbowl this weekend???


Greetings, Khadidja M.

No comments:

Post a Comment